Monday, April 14, 2014

Life and Ministry in the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama



I have loved my time in the Diocese of Alabama over the last three decades. So, many friends, so many generations, and simply being amazing together. I have both loved and perhaps more importantly liked my fellow travelers along the Way.

The community of St. Francis and beginning with Martin Bell, where I found my way back into the heart of the church.

Cursillo and Happening which encouraged and equipped my leadership in the parish and beyond. So many teams and weekends where I've served variously as music director, lay rector, and spiritual director.

Kairos where I've spent considerable time in prison and been fortunate that they've let me out each time. Bathed in grace as I spent those many weekends and following months on the inside with the men in white. Equally blessed to serve women in white on their weekends through cooking and praying.

Jubilee Ministry is a social justice ministry of advocacy and service for the poor and oppressed. It is a network of parish and diocesan Jubilee Centers throughout the Episcopal Church. It was established by an act of the 1982 General Convention as "a ministry of joint discipleship in Christ with poor and oppressed people, wherever they are found, to meet basic human needs and to build a just society." The term "Jubilee" means the fiftieth year. It is derived from Lv 25:10, which says that the fiftieth year shall be a jubilee: "you shall return, every one of you, to your property and every one of you to your family." One of its major ministries is to locate and affirm as Jubilee Centers those congregations, including ecumenical clusters, already directly engaged in mission and ministry with poor people. The experience of ministry with poor people is used to help other parishes become Jubilee centers. The decade as Diocesan Jubilee Officer in supporting and expanding the work and recognition of Jubilee Ministries in the Diocese and throughout the church has been an amazing experience.

Nonviolence Training and Peacebuilding. Providing Nonviolence Training throughout the Episcopal Church and serving on the Board of the Episcopal Peace Fellowship fed and feeds my soul.

The parishes of St. Andrew’s, Montevallo; Trinity, Clanton; and Holy Cross, Trussville helped form and inform my ministries in grace filled ways. Beans and Rice Ministries, Community Gardens, Episcopal Campus Ministries, Integrity, Acolytes, Eucharistic Ministers and Visitors, all humbled me and inspire me.

Thanks and blessings to y’all!


No comments: